Welcome to the new marker animations listing! I've attempted to organize markers into an easy classification method for years, but was never able to make a universal chart. There's so many overlapping designs floating around that it's virtually impossible to create a single categorization system and make everything perfect. To solve this problem, I've now created the giant listing below. An animation or diagram of each system is provided for visual purposes, then markers are described by the these varibales:
1. How the bolt is controlled (balanced 4way, unbalanced, mechanical pump)
2. How the bolt is reset after firing (balanced 4way, blowback, spring return)
3. Type of firing valve (spool valve bolt, or a force-controlled poppet [FCP] that happens before or after bolt movement)
4. Type of air inlet restriction, if applicable (spool valve inlet, force-controlled poppet [FCP], or air constriction)
5. Sequence of firing movements, if applicable.
· Hammer/valve: Markers of this type use percussive force of their movement to open a spring-loaded firing valve.
· Spool valve: These markers have their firing valve and bolt combined into one physical component. Sometimes the air inlet valve is also combined into the same component to create one single internal moving component, but sometimes the air inlet is controlled using a separate component (described as an FCP poppet on this page).
· FCP valve: acronym for Force-Controlled Poppet; this small valve is actuated by means of air pressure or other force applied to/from it. Generally the FCP poppet action occurs before or after the bolt movement, so it's described as sequential with a description of the order.
· Blowforward: An unbalanced bolt that is blown forward to fire by expanding air pressure behind it. All blowforwards ultimately release their pressure by way of spool valve action.
· Air sear: this common bolt actuation method describes a bolt that is held open by air pressure while idle, which is then vented to allow forward movement and firing. This is the pneumatic equivalent to a marker using a spring-loaded bolt which is held open using a mechanical sear. Most markers possessing an air sear are spool valve designs.
· Heldforward: a marker that has its bolt in the forward position while idle (thus firing in a closed-bolt manner). This could be controlled pneumatically with a dump valve or solenoid, or mechanically as with a pump marker.
· FASOR: acronym for Forward-Air [then] Spring Operated Return; generally open bolt markers that use a single output valve to fire (commonly called a 3-way valve), and a spring to recock.
· Slave valve: a special FCP poppet controlled alongside yet independant of the firing action. In other words, the solenoid's air output is delivered to two separate parts of the firing assembly (FCP and bolt) which actuates the components independantly from one-another.
· Inlet constriction: air inlet to the marker's dump chamber isn't completely sealed during firing, rather it's merely constricted down to restrict airflow. This is contrasted to an FCP shutoff valve, which completely seals off inlet during firing. There are reasons behind either design type.
· Bladder reservoir: valves of this type have an internal dump chamber that changes in volume, unlike all other markers which operate with a fixed volume. These dump chambers enlarge when filled with air pressure, then constrict down to smaller volume when firing.
· An asterisk (*) denotes a characteristic that defies classification. In this situation I chose the closest description that satisfied the operation and made the marker fit in the chart alongside similar designs. For instance, many markers are listed as balanced when they actually have a slight bias to them, but the similarities to other markers leave them classified together. There are many other instances of bizarre designs that defy organization.
· concept: designs with this tag are usually theoretical markers that were never produced, or were only prototyped in small numbers and never made it into production. I will list ANY animation or diagram so long as it can theoretically function.
Submissions: If you have any additional animations for a marker not listed here, point them out to me and I will gladly host them!
Pop-up problems? The animation has to FULLY LOAD before the pop-up window will appear. Some animations are large in size (2-3 MB) so they might take a few seconds to load. If you get tired of waiting, open the link in a new tab instead.
|Marker:||Firing assembly:||Animation:||Bolt actuation movement:||Firing valve:||Air inlet shutoff:||Sequential firing action:|
|Kingman Spyder||Animation||Unbalanced against sear||blowback bolt return||Hammer spring-firing valve||inlet constriction|
|Sheridan||Animation||Mechanical pump (heldforward)||Hammer spring-firing valve||inlet constriction|
|WDP/APS Angel||Animation||Balanced bolt/piston air actuation forward/rearward||Hammer air electropneumatic valve||inlet constriction|
|Bob Long Intimidator||Animation|
|Bob Long G6R||Cutaway|
|SP 09 Impulse / JT Impulse||Diagram|
|Bob Long Marq/Onyx/Victory||Animation|
|Bob Long VCOM poppet||?|
|Vanguard Creed ARV||Diagram|
|SP Nerve||Animation fast|
|Air Challenger "265" concept|
|TAS Cobalt/Ruby concept||?|
|Axon concept||Animation fast|
|DP Fusion||Animation fast||Unbalanced air actuation forward - FASOR||FASOR spring return||Hammer FASOR valve||inlet constriction|
|WGP Autococker / AP Sovereign||Animation||Balanced isolated bolt actuation (heldforward)||Hammer spring-firing valve||inlet constriction|
|WGP E-Blade Autococker|
|Evil Omen||Animation||Unbalanced heldforward||Spring bolt return||inlet constriction||Firing hammer controls bolt|
|ATS-AT||Animation||Unbalanced heldforward||Spring bolt return||inlet constriction||Sequential - bolt controls firing valve|
|BE Rainmaker||Animation||Balanced bolt/piston actuation forward/rearward||inlet constriction||Sequential - bolt controls firing valve|
|Tippmann SMG60/SMG68||Animation||n/a||inlet constriction|
|AKALMP Excalibur||Animation fast||Balanced isolated bolt actuation (heldforward)||Hammer air electropneumatic valve||inlet constriction||Dual-independant solenoids (firing first, then recocking)|
|Sandridge Firestorm Autococker||Animation||Balanced isolated bolt actuation (heldforward)||Hammer FASOR valve||Sequential FCP||Dual-independant solenoids (firing first, then recocking)|
|Smart Parts Shocker SFT/NXT||HE/NDZv3/EvolveULP bolt||Animation fast||balanced bolt actuation forward-rearward||spool valve bolt - balanced||spool valve bolt|
|Evolve v1/v2 bolt||Animation fast|
|Luxe 2.0 bolt||Animation|
|Air Challenger "264" concept||Animation fast|
|"Omega-II" concept||Animation fast|
|Smart Parts Shocker SFT/NXT||stock non-HE bolt||Animation fast||inlet constriction|
|Marmalade bolt concept||Diagram||Bladder reservoir*|
|Freeflow bolt||Diagram||Bladder reservoir*|
|Maelstrom-Ma concept||Animation fast||inlet constriction|
|MacDev Droid||Animation||Sequential FCP||Bolt controls poppet|
|TAS Zealot concept||Animation fast||Slave FCP valve||Solenoid controls both inlet and bolt|
|Gen-E DM3 / Dye Matrix||Animation fast||spool valve bolt|
|Dye DM/Proto||Fuse bolt||Animation fast|
|Dye Matrix - slambolt||Animation||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return*||spool valve bolt - blowforward||Sequential FCP with bladder reservoir||Bolt controls poppet|
|Dangerous Power Threshold||Animation||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||inlet constriction|
|Dangerous Power G3/G4/G5/iq||stock bolts||Animation|
|Eclipse Geo original||Animation link|
|SP Ion/XE/EOS/Epiphany /Vibe/SP8/SP1||stock bolts||Animation|
|NanoExtreme bolt||Animation||Sequential FCP||Bolt controls poppet|
|ICD Freestyle FS8||Animation|
|ICD Freestyle||Animation||inlet constriction|
|Hostile Creations Rogue||Animation link|
|Proto Rail||Animation fast||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||spool valve bolt|
|SP Ion & Ion clone||dual tail o-ring bolt||Animation link|
|SP Ion & Ion clone||SP spring valve concept||Diagram||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||Sequential FCP||Bolt controls inlet valve|
|Eclipse Geo+||Animation link||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||Slave FCP valve||Solenoid controls both inlet and bolt|
|Eclipse Geo2/Geo3||Animation link||Bladder reservoir|
|Dye NT||Animation||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward*||spool valve bolt||Firing valve controls bolt|
|Pixie concept||Animation fast||unbalanced blowforward||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||spool valve bolt||Firing valve controls bolt|
|Shadowmachine concept||Animation fast||unbalanced actuation forward (FASOR)||Air spring bolt return (FASOR)||spool valve bolt - FASOR*||spool valve bolt|
|Bob Long Insight NG||Animation link||Unbalanced blowforward*||Air sear bolt return||spool valve bolt||spool valve bolt|
|AGD Automag /Minimag/Exmag||E/X Mag with RT valve||Animation fast||Unbalanced blowforward||Spring bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||Sequential FCP||Mechanically-linked bolt & inlet|
|Pneumag modification||Animation fast|
|ICD Desert Fox||Diagram link|
|Husher Impulse concept||Animation||99% balanced bolt actuation forward-rearward||spool valve bolt - balanced||spool valve bolt|
|Deadlywind Aedes (mQ)||Animation fast||Unbalanced blowforward||Spring bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||inlet constriction||Firing poppet controls bolt|
|mQ-equipped electronic Autococker (E-Blade etc)||Animation||Balanced isolated bolt actuation (heldforward)||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||inlet constriction||Dual-independant solenoids (firing first, then recocking)|
|SP Shocker Sport||Animation fast||Balanced isolated bolt actuation (heldforward)||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||Sequential FCP||Firing valve controls inlet valve; dual-independent solenoids (firing first, then recocking)|
|PneuVentures Shocker||Diagram||Unbalanced actuation forward||Air spring bolt return|
|J4 Torque||Animation||Unbalanced actuation forward||Air sear bolt return*||spool valve bolt - FCP*||spool valve bolt*||Spool valve bolt with spring inlet valve; air sear is the dump chamber|
|AirStar Nova/SuperNova (articulating barrel)||Animation link||Unbalanced heldforward||Spring bolt return||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||Sequential FCP||Firing poppet controls bolt|
|Warmachine Assault-80||articulating barrel|
|Mayhem pistol concept||Diagram|
|ICE Epic||Animation||Unbalanced heldforward*||Spring trapdoor return||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||Sequential FCP||Mechanically-linked firing valve & inlet|
|Legion Shocker concept||Animation fast||Unbalanced heldforward||Air spring bolt return||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||Sequential FCP||Firing poppet controls bolt|
|SP Ion & Ion clone||y0da900 closed bolt mod||Animation link|
|Thorpydo Plunger concept||Animation|
|Gnucleus concept||Animation fast|
|Icebreaker T-shirt launcher concept||Animation||Single action (muzzle load)|
|Thumper-A concept||Animation fast||Unbalanced heldforward||Air spring bolt return||Sequential FCP (closed bolt)||spool valve bolt||Firing poppet controls bolt|
|Thumper-B concept||Animation fast|
|Warmachine Assault-80||stationary barrel||Animation fast||Unbalanced blowforward||Spring bolt return||Blowforward & Sequential FCP||Sequential FCP||Poppet controls bolt forward, then bolt controls poppet backward|
|Eclipse Etha||Animation||Unbalanced blowforward||Spring bolt return||spool valve bolt - blowforward||Sequential FCP||Inlet valve controls bolt|
|Tippmann X7 Phenom (Flexvalve)||Cutaway|
|Culex concept||Animation fast||Air spring bolt return|
|Lurker Paragon||Animation fast||Balanced bolt actuation forward-rearward*||spool valve bolt - blowforward||inlet constriction||Firing poppet controls bolt; solenoid fed using dump chamber air supply|
|Invert-Empire Mini/Axe||Animation fast||Unbalanced actuation forward||Spring bolt return||Sequential FCP||inlet constriction||Bolt controls firing poppet|
|XXXI King Cobra||Animation|
|SP mqev "spoppet" concept||Animation fast||Balanced bolt actuation forward-rearward||Sequential FCP||spool valve bolt||Bolt controls firing poppet|
|Tippmann C3||Animation||Mechanical pump (heldforward)||Propane combustion valve||Sequential FCP*||Inlet valve is momentarilly-actuated by pump handle|
|Airbow gun||Mechanical single action||Air compression valve||inlet constriction*|
|DRV||Diagram||Hammer spring-firing valve||inlet constriction|
|E-volt concept||Animation||Unbalanced heldforward||Spring bolt return||Hammer spring-firing valve*||inlet constriction*||Firing pressure is created by a compression chamber during each shot|
|Tippmann Cyclone loader||Animation||Drive sprocket is actuated by blowback air pressure from the valve, then returned by a spring.|
|Dye Rotor loader||Animation link||A planetary gear set is used to increase torque on the drive sprocket|
|RAP4 M68 grenade launcher||Animation||Push-button dump valve.|
|Floating poppet regulator||Animation|
|Moving base regulator||Animation||Animation of a low-pressure regulator from a DLX Luxe marker.|
|Autococker "3-way" directional valve||Animation (non-sealed)||These two-position valves are actuated mechanically in order to control airflow through one of the two possible output ports.|
|Parker solenoid||Animation fast||This "piloted" indirect solenoid valve consists of a 4-way directional valve (spool) which is actuated by a miniature 2-way air pilot controlled by the electromagnet. Other piloted solenoids work in similar ways.|
|Shoebox compressor/intensifier||Animation fast||This is a pressure intensifier that boosts "shop air" input pressure (90-100 psi) up to HPA tank levels. The red release spring is the feedback mechanism; as the pressure increases, mechanical leverage causes it to eventually push against the on/off switch when tank pressure is achieved.|
|Freedom8 compressor/intensifier||Animation fast||The Freedom8 Shoebox is an upgraded version of the classic design. Notably, it uses an adjustable pressure limit switch instead of the preset mechanical shutoff.|
|4C eye system||4C off animation||The 4C eyes monitor the ball dropping motion and allows the marker to initiate firing before the next ball is fully seated.|
|4C on animation|
|Chop animation||Animation fast||Demonstration of different types of paintball breaks in a marker. This was meant to highlight the difference between a ball being chopped and a ball breaking in the barrel.|
Updates: (reverse-chronological, newest-first)
2014.Sep.1 - Updated the animation for the Lurker Paragon, added a diagrams for the unreleased Mayhem pistol, and added an animation for an AEG airsoft gun that represents the unreleased E-volt marker.
2014.May.22 - Updated animations for both classic Shoebox and Freedom8 compressors (updated graphics and internal details). Also repaired a couple dead links to outside pages that weren't loading. All videos and youtube links now read as "animation link" which opens in a new window.
2014.May.18 - Added animations for the Freedom8 Shoebox compressor/intensifier.
2014.Apr.24 - Added an animation for an Ion with Orange NanoExtreme bolt, and a diagram for the Shocker SFT Marmalade bolt concept. Also fixed the link to the Shocker Freeflow bolt diagram. Revised the terminology descriptions at the top of the page.
2014.Mar.26 - Added animations for the following: ICD Freestyle FS8, DLX moving base type regulator, and TAS Zealot.
2014.Mar.7 - Added information for the Icebreaker concept and Lurker Paragon. Also, retro-actively added the updates section that you are currently reading.
2014.Feb.11 - Links to outside webpages have been fixed (the popup images interfered with them). Added the terminology section at the top of the page. Added listings for the following: paintball chopping animation, DRV pistol, airbow-gun, Empire DFender, Thorpydo Plunger, and J4 Torque.
2014.Jan.6 - Get out from under your rock, the new and updated mass classification page is now online! The old animation listing pages have been removed and replaced with this single giant chart. The amount of content on this page tripled in size and now includes concept markers, prototypes, and listings for virtually every prominent marker design ever produced.